Congratulations to Allison Perry, our 2015 Chapter Member Merit Award recipients! You can submit nominations for the 2016 Chapter Member Merit Award here.
Upstate New York Chapter Member Merit Award
The Upstate New York Chapter Member Merit Award is awarded annually and was created to
- recognize individuals for outstanding achievement and service to SLA and the Chapter
- honor chapter members with a record of distinguished service in the organization and the association.
- be a current member in good standing the in the association currently OR
- hold membership for at least two consecutive years prior to the award date.
Recent retirees or former members who have left the Chapter due to geographic relocation, job change, etc., must have maintained a membership in good standing for a minimum of two years prior to departure.
Any member of the Chapter may make a nomination, including self-nomination.
UNYSLA Student Merit Award
The purpose of the UNYSLA Student Merit Award is to recognize and reward the active participation of student SLA members through involvement and leadership in Student Group activities.
Nominees must be a SLA student member enrolled in a masters or PhD level library or information studies program and must show evidence of at least one of the following as a student member of SLA:
- Increasing SLA student involvement and memberships;
- Expanding professional development opportunities both formal and informal;
- Raising or expanding the profile of the SLA Student Group within their own school, on campus, or within the professional community;
- Bringing educators and practicing special librarians together.
Any chapter member may nominate a student for the Merit Award.
Nominations are ranked based on documented quantitative and qualitative evidence and identifying which criteria above apply. Examples of relevant activities include successful organization, planning, and promotion of activities covering:
- Outreach: membership promotions; web site development; library tours
- Leadership: mentoring programs, strategic planning, campus or association involvement
- Programming: library tours, speakers, meetings, workshops, seminars, colloquia
- Scholarship and Creative Activities: grant support, publications
Past winners of the Chapter Award:
2016: Elaine Lasda Bergman
2015: Allison Perry
2014: Ben Wagner
2012: Linda Galloway
2011: Jill Hurst-Wahl
2006: Lisa S. Carbone
2005: Angela Horne
2004: Renee Bush
2003: Boodie McGinnis
2002: Karen Kreizman Reczek
2001: Jeannette Smithee
2000: David Fulton
1997: Barbara Beverley
1995: Jeannette Smithee (UNYSLA’s 50th anniversary year)
Past winners of the Student Merit Award:
2012: Esther Marie Jackson, University at Buffalo
2011: Allison Starkey
2008: Ellie Jones, University at Buffalo
2006: Susan LaValley, University at Buffalo
2005: Megan Comey, Syracuse University
2004: Marcy Strong, University of Albany