Posted on April 11, 2013.
Associate Director of the Hospitality, Labor and Management Library-19935
Applications requested by May 5, 2013.
Description: The Hospitality, Labor, and Management (HLM) Library seeks experienced business library managers as candidates for the position of Associate Director.
The successful candidate will lead a team of librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development across three highly-ranked Cornell schools; provide support in and serve as liaison to the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management (Johnson); and actively participate in HLM leadership. The Associate Director will be a leader who can bring their own philosophy and ideas into a developing organization and help shape its direction.
The HLM Library serves Cornell’s specialized business and labor schools, composed of the School of Hotel Administration (SHA), Industrial & Labor Relations School (ILR), and Johnson, with more than 1,800 undergraduates, 1,400 graduate students, 150 full-time resident faculty, and extensive distance education, executive, and extension programs. Johnson recently ranked seventh among US MBA programs in BusinessWeek, while the specialized ILR and SHA schools are the top institutions in their fields.
Reporting to the Harriet Morel Oxman Director of the HLM Library, the Associate Director will:
- Manage a team of 11 librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development to the three Cornell schools supported by HLM.
- Serve as the lead library liaison to Johnson, understanding and communicating the needs of the school’s students and faculty in the context of the broader university environment.
- Serve on the HLM leadership group.
- Provide direct research support and instruction to the Johnson community.
- Participate actively in professional organizations, library and university committees, and scholarly pursuits.
The Associate Director will be an innovative, enthusiastic professional with a dedication to building, leading, and participating in teams, drawing on and contributing to the expertise of colleagues. Additionally, the successful candidate will:
- Have an understanding of standard and traditional library practices, but also eagerly embrace change and opportunities that new technologies and techniques bring to the field.
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and willingness for strategic experimentation.
- Understand the changing research process and the need for user focused services.
- Model and maintain the HLM Library’s core values of collaboration, excellence, flexibility, innovation, integrity, and service.
- MLIS or equivalent graduate degree.
- At least 4 years of experience as a business librarian in an academic or special library, including at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, quantitative, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to resolve competing demands in an environment of fast-paced change.
- Strong collegial, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills.
- MBA or advanced degree in management, economics, or closely related field.
- Experience with organizational development.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and the names, phone numbers, and addresses for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Apply online.