SUNY Geneseo seeks a service-oriented and enthusiastic individual to provide reference, library instruction, scholarly communications and outreach in an active liberal arts environment. This librarian will primarily serve as liaison to six departments in the Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Geological Sciences, Physics and Astronomy, Mathematics, and Computer Science). Major responsibilities will include:
- General and subject-specific reference assistance in the sciences, including in-person, virtual and by-appointment consultations
- Liaison to science departments, providing outreach, support and collection-based advice
- Participation in and development of curriculum-integrated information literacy instruction for the Sciences, with online and face-to-face formats
- Participation in the library’s general instruction program for undergraduates
- Engagement in collection development and information resources management (e.g. Mendeley, Diigo, Endnote, etc.) in the Sciences
- Participation (in collaboration with other library and academic departments) in digital and scholarly communication projects, including project management, data curation, assessment and grant writing
- Advising on the acquisition of scientific data sets for campus use and supporting digital library initiatives
- Conducts ongoing assessment of library services to the science departments, which includes gathering and analysis of assessment data (surveys, needs, etc.) and use statistics
This is a 12-month, full-time tenure-track faculty position at the Senior Assistant Librarian level with attendant expectations for professional competence, service and scholarship. Initial appointment is for two years.
- Master’s degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing service through teamwork and responsiveness to faculty, students, and colleagues
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and project management skills
- Commitment to providing high-quality public service within a flexible and continually evolving academic library environment
- Degree in the sciences or experience in a science library
- Proven experience using scientific data sources
- Commitment to the instructional mission of the academic library
- Demonstrated ability teaching and assessing information literacy
- Academic reference desk experience
- Knowledge of and comfort with many forms of technology
- Well-versed in scholarly communication issues, especially as they apply to the sciences
Apply online at https://jobs.geneseo.edu and submit a letter of application, resume, and name/title/contact information of 3 professional references. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Review begins July 16, 2012. Please submit a letter of application, resume, and name/title/contact information of 3 professional references. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.